Monday, May 6, 2019

Retro-Reviews: Gotham: The Final Season (SPOILERS)

Gotham (season 5).jpg

Hidden in Darkness, there is Light...

I love superheroes. I don't think I need to elaborate on that too much. While I haven't been an avid reader of comics, I have grown up on several movies and television shows that have been my gateway into falling in love with so many colorful characters and the worlds that they populate. While I have time and time again stated that my all-time favorite superhero is Spider-Man, I find it downright criminal of me to run this blog so long without any real mention of Batman, who is easily my second favorite. I guess it all boils down to the fact that the Caped Crusader has not had many great iterations in the past few years. Thankfully, there was one show that's been running for the past few years that has been a mostly solid depiction of the origin of the Dark Knight. That show is Gotham, and its final season has recently concluded, so I feel it fitting that I deliver my thoughts on the final run for this rather underrated show. 

UPS
  1. The season's overarching storyline. For the past four seasons, there have been several mini-arcs spread throughout an entire season, and while each one was incredibly solid, it doesn't stand to make each season fully coherent. In contrast, this season has one clear arc that is told throughout the entire season, partly due to a smaller amount of episodes. As such, it's easier to feel more engaged and more necessary to tune in each week to see what happens next because everything flows and builds upon what came before. Overall, this season in comparison to the others feels tighter and better paced. 
  2. This being the final season, we would need to see the culmination of everything that has been building since the beginning. By the end, every major character has gotten the proper conclusion to their series long arcs: Jim is promoted to Commissioner, marries Lee, and raises a daughter with Barbra, who is able to fully atone for her past misdeeds and start a new life. Likewise, other characters like Oswald, Ed, and Selina fully embrace the roles that they were meant to play in the future, and of course, the big two are Bruce becoming Batman and Jeremiah becoming the Joker. Yep, that's right, after several twists and turns, we finally have a fully fledged Clown Prince of Crime to compliment our Dark Knight, and it is glorious, with Cameron Monaghan knocking it right out of the park.
DOWNS
  1. While the shorter episode length did benefit telling a more coherent overarching storyline, it still meant that not everything was able to fit in. Case in point, there were several villains like the Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, and Scarecrow who were present throughout the series and were barely present here or simply did not show up at all. Again, I thought the storyline we were given more than made up for these shortcomings, so maybe I'm being counter-productive, but I do think this season would've benefited from a few more episodes if not the full 22 like previous years.
OVERALL
Gotham: The Final Season was a worthy conclusion to the show. I would have liked just a little bit more, but I'm more than happy with what we got. Fingers crossed that there's a chance we may get a full-fledged Batman show with this cast and crew sometime in the near future. I doubt it, but a guy can hope.

And that's it for this post, guys. Tune in for more on the way and until then, take care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment